Are you interested in a career in the dental industry? Recent research and trends show us that the outlook is bright – just like your patients’ smiles.
Share this Image On Your Site
Current State of the U.S. Dental Industry
- There are nearly 184,000 dental offices in the United States.
- Dental offices will generate an estimated $134 billion in revenue in 2018.
- Group practices make up 5% of all dental offices.
U.S. Dental Industry Jobs and Earnings
- 153,500 dentist jobs were available in the United States in 2016.
- The 2017 median pay of dentists was $158,120 annually, or $76.02 per hour.
- There were 332,000 dental assistant jobs in the United States as of 2016.
- The 2017 median pay of dental assistants was $37,630 annually, or $18.09 per hour.
U.S. Oral Health Trends
- 93% of U.S. adults believe routine dental care is an important part of overall wellness.
- More than 90% of adults have experienced at least one cavity.
- 85% of adults prefer to visit the dentist twice a year for cleanings.
- About 64% of adults have dental insurance.
- Nearly 50% of adults over the age of 30 have shown signs of gum disease.
- 47% of adults are dealing with some form of periodontal disease.
- 12% of adults suffer from sensitive teeth.
Dental Technology Trends
- Air-Abrasion: Provides pellets of air to remove decayed teeth without a local anesthetic.
- Digital X-Rays: Enable digital images of the teeth, mouth, and jaw to be projected onto a computer screen.
- Dental Implants: Can be integrated into the jaw to replace missing teeth.
- Laser Dentistry: Involves the use of light energy to remove tooth decay and perform other dental procedures.
- Sedation Dentistry: Uses medication to help a patient relax during a dental procedure without causing him or her to fall asleep.
U.S. Dental Industry Job Outlook
- The demand for dentists in the United States is projected to increase 19% between 2016 and 2026.
- The number of dentist jobs is expected to grow by 29,300 between 2016 and 2026.
- The demand for dental assistants is projected to increase 19% between 2016 and 2026.
- The number of dental assistant jobs is expected to grow by 64,600 between 2016 and 2026 – much faster than the average profession.
Howard Healthcare Academy provides comprehensive dental assistant training programs in San Diego. To find out more, please contact us today at 1 (619) ACADEMY.